Buildings contribute more to global warming than cars, trucks, and buses combined, and consume large quantities of natural resources. Well-managed sustainability strategies not only reduce pressure on our resources, they also yield operational cost savings, healthier and more productive work environments, and more valuable assets.
For our clients and our own operations, KAL creates action plans and a program of continuous improvement to deliver sustainability strategies that make a positive impact on the environment, local communities and the long-term value of our clients’ assets.
Property and Portfolio Strategy
- We perform tracking of sustainability metrics, including energy, water, solid waste, and greenhouse gas emissions to measure progress towards client sustainability and financial goals, and to meet mandatory reporting requirements.
- Operations & maintenance Solutions to reduce a client’s environmental footprint and lower costs. We also identify resources and incentives to support the pursuit of these strategies, optimizing investment returns.
- Energy management for both demand and supply side issues tailored to each client’s needs. These programs have reduced clients’ energy costs 5 to 10% on average and include energy consumption analysis, on-site product and behavior upgrades and participation in energy procurement and curtailment programs.
- Building Certification including Energy star labels and use of only NEMA approved materials.
- Product & service procurement advice on leading technologies, services, and products to facilitate environmentally and fiscally sound selections, including renewable energy opportunities. Leveraged procurement strategies deliver both best pricing and quality of service to our clients.
- Tenant & Occupant engagement guidance to enhance cooperation between tenants and landlords and inspire action by all stakeholders.
We create sustainable building standards in the design and construction of new buildings and tenant fit-out projects. Through an integrated project delivery approach, KAL helps minimize costs during design and construction and throughout the life of the project space.
KAL guidance on site selection helps clients meet sustainability standards and goals. We work with clients to incorporate green lease provisions that allow tenants and landlords to equitably advance energy efficiency and other sustainability goals.
Valuation & Advisory
We provide research and advice to optimize the value proposition of green strategies by identifying and quantifying the feasibility, costs, and benefits, and return implications of various green options with a goal of minimizing risk and maximizing longer-term asset and portfolio value. Services range from analyzing options at the individual property level to comparing whole building strategies across a suite of projects and formulating optimal finance strategies.
Corporate Commitment to Sustainability
We lead by example through a commitment to reduce the environmental footprint of the buildings we occupy and manage, engaging our employees and clients in these efforts, and through thought leadership.
Employees, Education, and Engagement
We support focused education and training that keeps our workforce at the cutting edge of sustainability.
Serious engagement, partnering with technical experts and taking part in industry dialogue to develop and mold legislation beneficial to the building industry are among our thought leadership priorities. KAL also provides client-focused education including seminars, market briefings, and industry publications.